Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First Granny Square

I love these Granny Squares!  I think they are so cute and a great way to use up some scraps.  So, I started yet another quilt....I used this tutorial for these blocks,which can be found at Blue Elephant Stitches.


Here is my first one completed!  I have been planning on making a baby quilt for my cousin, who just had a baby.  I thought it would be meaningful to use fabric from our grandmother.  Since she passed away over a year ago, we have been going through her HUGE fabric collection.  I thought that she would really appreciate something made out of it for her new baby girl.  I was browsing through my Flickr favorites to pick out a pattern and it hit me.....I should use our Grandma's fabric (who, we called "Granny") to make the Granny Squares Quilt that I love!  Duh!!!

So, I sorted through and picked out some pink, yellow, purple, green, blue, teal, brown, and gray fabric pieces, and cut a couple 2.5" squares from each.  Some are old fabrics, and some I could tell that she purchased more recently.  The squares are all cut and ready to go to make 12 blocks.  That way the quilt will be big enough for the baby to grow into and use for a long time.  


Now, I just have 11 more blocks to make!  It's a start though....

No comments:

Post a Comment