Monday, April 16, 2012

Quilt for Hubby

Another quilt that is finally finished....but, sadly it took me well over a year to complete.  Ok, actually it took me almost 7 years to finish!  Yikes!  That is not good turn around at all!  (And, trust me - my husband told me about it all the time!).  But, I finally finished it!  Now I don't have to hear anymore, "When are you going to finish that quilt you were supposedly making for me?"  He's seen a lot of other projects get completed while his just sat in a closet.


 This project started when my husband requested a blanket that was "big enough to fit."  He is very tall, and all the other throw blankets we have don't reach his toes when laying on the couch watching TV.  So, I started this quilt.  I kept telling him that this quilt was going to be huge just for him.

About 2-3 years into this project (not that I was working on it that whole time), I kind of got sick of it.  And, to be honest, I don't really like it.  I mean....it turned out ok, and it works great when cuddling up on the couch....but, it isn't one of my prouder projects.  It just looks very "cabiny," which works for my husband, but I just prefer more modern looking quilts.


I kept telling my husband that it wasn't going to be very soft (I thought it seemed like it was going to be very stiff because of the fold and finish style) and that it was going to be too big.  I kept using those reasons as excuses for not finishing it.  I thought that I was making it crazy big and that I got a little carried away.  I even offered to make him a different one instead.  So, for 2-3 more years, I just kept saying that.

When I finally got it all put together and laid it out on the floor, I just started laughing.  As it turns out - it really isn't that big after all.  In fact, my husband's toes still hang out the end! :)  Then, I had to hear about that too...."the only quilt you make for me doesn't even fit me" and "I thought that you said you were making this soooo big."  The jokes were never ending......


The fabrics were all bought several years ago, or found in my Mom's stash.  They are old and I don't think any are "designer" fabrics.  The pattern is "Northwoods Retreat" from the The Quilt Yard Fold & Finish Collection by Betty Cotton.  The pattern is a quilt-as-you-go method, so when completed - it is a reversible and finished quilt.

Fold & Finish Northwoods Retreat

Well, needless to say.....I got it all finished and we have already been using it on the couch - including my very grateful husband that I actually finished it.  And, as it turns out, it is now pretty soft after getting washed.

No comments:

Post a Comment